Sunday, January 22, 2012

Incredibly loud and extremely close.

I just got home from seeing probably the most inspiring and fantastically made movie I have ever seen. It is also a book, and it is called "Incredibly Loud and Extremely Close". The description for it on IMBD is as follows: A nine-year-old amateur inventor, Francophile, and pacifist searches New York City for the lock that matches a mysterious key left behind by his father, who died in the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001.
This is what the internet says, but this movie offers much, much more than what the description online entails. Please go watch it as soon as you have a few open hours.

This movie really spoke to me in terms of perspective. I truly believe that every once in awhile, we must sit down and refresh our outlook on things. Before, I was getting overwhelmed with basic obstacles and challenges in life such as finals week in school, the pressure that comes with being committed to a sports team, sustaining relationships and impressing my parents. It is so easy for me to forget and lose track of the most important things in my life such as my friends, family, and of course, God. The boy in this movie reminded me to be thankful in words but also show my appreciated and love and affection to the ones who mean most to me. Actions have always spoken louder than words, and yet why do we waste our time talking talking talking when we should be acting on our truest emotions? I feel now, that if someone I loved died tomorrow, I'd eternally regret not letting them know how they've effected my life and how much I love them. It is so important to express this love. With all the hatred, chaos, death, destruction, angst, sadness, unjustness, pride, selfishness, among other horrible things in this world, love prevails. 2Corinthians4:8-9 says that, "We are experiencing trouble on every side, but are not crushed; we are perplexed, but not driven to despair; we are persecuted, but not abandoned; we are knocked down, but not destroyed." And John15:13 says how there is no greater love than the one who will lay down his life for his friends. Jesus already died for us. The battle is already won. We just have to keep fighting for what is just, moral, humane, and Godly. Love prevailing doesn't mean that evil doesn't exist. To me, it simply means that, when I'm in a tough situation, keeping this in mind is what forces me out stronger than before. Knowing that the truest form of love, Jesus, is with me at every second of every day, allows me to tackle situations that otherwise I would not have succeeded in. Yes I know I am ranting a little bit but back to the point, all these thoughts stemmed from seeing this movie tonight.

Thank you, Stephen Daldry, for directing such an excellent and replenishing movie. Maybe I'm over thinking it, but this is my blog and I am allowed to be honest! It's a "free" country.