Sunday, November 6, 2011

BREAKAWAY.

For the past three years during the beginning of November, I have been given the amazing opportunity of being a camper at a Younglife retreat called Breakaway lodge. It is located in Gearhart beach, which is really close to cannon. The camp is only friday night-sunday afternoon, but every second is utilized and purposeful. I love this camp so much because it is in the middle of school, which of course implies stress and anxiety. However, this year as a senior who has already gone three times to this wonderful camp, I decided it would be really cool and fun to do work crew instead. The crew consisted of myself, Malia (who's also a senior) Gayle, Taylor and Margo, all of whom are freshman in college. It was a huge reality check; three years ago, if someone had asked me to clean up and serve 85 high schoolers, some of which I'd never met, I'd have said "Are you crazy?" Or something along those lines. But after seeing how much the people in Younglife actually care about me, and support me, I decided I wanted to be apart of that. Serving in work crew was one of the coolest things I've been able to do recently, and I can't wait to apply for Summer staff for a longer term. Also this weekend I got to share my testimony which I NEVER thought I'd ever do in a million years. Of course, 4 minutes doesn't contain everything, and I'd love to share the rest with anyone who's curious.

Anyway, have you ever been in a crowded room and felt as if time was actually slowing down, almost stopping right in front of you? I think that point comes after a really long and tiring day, or maybe that's just me. What I'm getting at is that at breakaway, in the dining hall, I was kind of zoning out at all the chatter and singing going on and felt so calm. Which was weird, considering the place smelled of spicy chicken teriyaki dishes and teenagers. Not to mention everyone was chanting or laughing and screaming. In the midst of the chaos, what did I feel??? peace. Coolest feeling ever, my friends :)

To anyone looking at volunterring/serving in Younglife or any other organization, I highly advise it and would love to look at opportunities with you.

This weekend was fantastic and I'm so glad I got to share it with amazing people from SHS and the leaders as well.

Much Love, Goodnight!